42 Traditional Similes
- Ideal as a simile matching game plus terrific for written expression, descriptions and adjectives / nouns work...
****This resource is available as part of our full membership option****
|as brave as a lion||as brown as a berry||as black as soot||as blind as a bat||as busy as a bee|
|as cold as ice||as dry as a bone||as easy as ABC||as pretty as a picture||as proud as a peacock|
|as quick as lightning||as quiet as a mouse||as right as rain||as sharp as a razor||as sick as a dog|
|as silent as a grave||as smooth as glass||as fat as a pig||as gentle as a lamb||as good as gold|
|as green as grass||as happy as a lark||as hard as nails||as heavy as lead||as flat as a pancake|
|as fresh as a daisy||as funny as a circus||as large as life||as light as a feather||as loud as thunder|
|as old as Methuselah||as soft as silk||as straight as an arrow||as strong as an ox||as sweet as honey|
|as tall as a giant||as thick as thieves||as thin as a rake||as warm as toast||as weak as a kitten|
|as white as snow||as wise as an owl|
Suggestions for Use
- Print and laminate a set of the simile adjective starters and the simile noun endings - children match the simile adjective with the simile noun.
- Print out class copies of individual simile adjective starters -children make up their own noun ending.
- Print out individual copies of simile starters and simile endings -children cut and paste to match.
- Brainstorm and list different nouns to match each simile adjective starter - for example as hard as....nails, rocks, ice, concrete, steel etc.
- Make a list of Adjectives and Nouns from the similes - eg. cold ice, busy bee, warm toast, white snow, loud thunder etc...
- Use different adjectives and nouns from our word cards to make up similes - eg .. as enormous as a dinosaur..
- As an extension - try adding to the similes to make descriptive full sentences - great for written expression and poetry practice - eg 'The tower was as tall as a giant.', 'The clouds were as white as snow.' 'After my bath I felt as warm as toast'
- Just focus on one simile a week and add it to the literacy group activities each week.
Please add your suggestions for using 42 Traditional Similes in the comments below... thanks !