Writing and Reading Activities - 46 Sentence Starters
- Ideal as writing prompts 2-3 times per week...plus more ideas for use
- Includes sentence prompts with and without lines for cutting out words.....
****This resource is available as part of our full membership option****
Suggestions for Use
- These can be used in so many different ways......don't forget to MODEL, MODEL, MODEL, and have talked about and brainstormed vocabulary, have words displayed etc.*children cut out the sentence starter strip and glue into books - children use vocab prompts etc to finish the sentence themselves, or wait to dictate it to a teacher/helper.
- *children cut out the words and glue back in order to make the sentence starter - children finish as above
- *further down the track, children could also copy the whole sentence themselves at the bottom of their page after drawing a wonderful picture which fills up the entire page.
- *use the full strips or cut up strips for children to glue onto a separate individual large sheet which after finishing and illustrating can be turned into a class book.
- Ideal as a literacy rotating group task or center task
- Have a specific 'journal' or 'sentences' book into which all of their sentence writing goes - great to look back on their progress over the year as sentences become fuller.
- Ideal for introducing simple sentence structure and grammar concepts.
- Even for older students you can set the task at a higher level, for example with 'I can see a .....' ask the older children to include describing words, and full detail and situation description for their sentence.
- If the size of the sentence strips is too big just reduce them by choosing the 2 pages in 1 or smaller printing option on your printer.
- We have tried to weave themes and special days into some of the sentence starters.
- Many of these starters / journal writing prompts can also be matched up well with many of our concept books.
Please add your suggestions for using 46 Sentence Starters in the comments below... thanks !