Word Families - Short Vowel o
19 Words / 'ock', 'ong', 'old'
- Loads of layout choices.....just words, just pictures, one letter missing etc....
- We have made these quite big (4 to an A4 page) so that you can choose to keep them this way or just adjust your printer settings to print 2 or more to a page - the smaller sizes are ideal for at desk work - the larger sizes are great for display and desk work....
****This resource is available as part of our full membership option****
Suggestions for Use
- HOW TO USE OUR WORD FAMILY AND CVC WORD CARDS
- PLEASE NOTE: We have made these quite big (4 to an A4 page) so that you can choose to keep them this way or just adjust your printer settings to print 2 or more to a page - the smaller sizes are ideal for at desk work - the larger sizes are great for display and desk work....
- Print and Laminate to make up wall charts to use for, reading and writing reference
- Make up laminated sets of smaller sized words with the missing letters - use these sets for children to fill in the missing letters using whiteboard markers - just focus on certain short vowel sets, or throw all the sets together for follow-up reinforcement and practice - great as a literacy group activity
- Another variation of above idea is children copy the laminated words - include the missing letters and draw a picture in theirliteracy books.
- Laminate the pictures and cut them up for rhyme sort games and activities, match them with the plain word cards - play 'concentration' with the pictures and the plain word cards. Give each child a word card and a picture and they have to find theirmatching partners.
- Sort the cards and pictures according to exact word family, or word family vowel eg.. all 'old' words, or all 'o' words
- Children use the printable alphabet letter tiles to make up and glue together the word family words.
- Make up customised phonics flip charts to match each word family - make these words on your flip charts..
- Laminate and cut the pictures off the picture cards using a 'puzzle' cut - children match words to pictures.
- Laminate and cut off the word family endings using 'puzzle' cuts - children then match the pieces to 're-make' the words..
- Children classify mixed up word cards into word family categories.
- Use the activities from '101 Ways to Use Word Cards / Flashcards' with these words...eg. how many times can you find these words in books around the room etc.....
Please add your suggestions for using Word Families Short Vowel O in the comments below... thanks !