Word Detective Pyramid
- Large A4 format for whole class work (enlarge to A3 if like) plus smaller 6 to a page for individual work.
- These are a TERRIFIC way for children to practise breaking words into syllables and sounds / graphemes.
****This resource is available as part of our full membership option****
Suggestions for Use
- Print and Laminate large A4 (or enlarge to A3) to use for whole class practice or for use in small group work.
- The method used here - needs to be taught explicitly with lots of practice and modelling - soon you will have your kiddies knowing exactly what to do as it becomes part of their 'word play' each week.
- Pop each of your focus vocab/theme or sounds/grapheme related words for the week into the pyramids to 'pull out' the syllables and sounds. (even sight words can work)
- Another lovely idea is for each child to do up a large A4 sheet using their NAME - great for display.
- Relate the sounds / graphemes 'pulled out' to phoneme / grapheme charts.
- Don't hold back with the words - find some really adventurous words and go for it - the children love doing the really 'hard' ones. (make it fun for children to 'bring in' really 'hard' words from home each day)
- You could make up a whole set of pre-written pyramids if you like to display certain words. (laminate after you have written on them)
- Use the bottom row (sounds / graphemes) for children to find the appropriate grapheme tile and glue the word together using these sound / grapheme tiles and the bottom row as a guide.
Please add your suggestions for using Word Detective Pyramid in the comments below... thanks !